Monday, 30 November 2009
Here is the picture from before but with a clean line ready for colouring. The bed, table and stool are on different levels so animation can be put behind them. You can see the back of the walls continue through the bed where you wouldn't normally see but this is for safety just in case in a later episode the bed or table need to be moved into a different position. It allows flexibility.
Friday, 27 November 2009
Here is the pencil drawing for a Frankensteins Cat background. This is the reference copy given to the colourists from the BG artist. It is to show how it should all look put together as the BG artist gives all the elements to the colourist separately with a nice clean line ready for colouring. This is also to indicate how the shadows should work by the blue shadeing.
The bed, table, stool, candle and doors are all a separate drawings to allow the animation of the characters to be put behind them or to be replaced by animation of the doors opening for example.
I will post the finished BG soon.
Thursday, 26 November 2009
Here is some character development work we did. Starting with some rough scetches then some less rough scetches and when the general character is decided it then get's built in 3D. Sounds easy! But it helps when you have some very talented people doing the work. There is another one of these but with a different character I will post soon.
Wednesday, 25 November 2009
Here is a picture of some concept work for Jim Jam and Sunny. We did all the animation bits in that series and this was for a little animated section. They ended up not being used in the end. Shame really as they are quite sweet.
Tuesday, 24 November 2009
Here is a picture showing two characters on a cell, the back and front view of the same cell. This is how 2D animation was always done, each frame of movement was an individual painting. Each colour would need to be painted then left to dry then the next colour painted on top then left to dry and so on. But what was the tricky bit was when painting on cell you would work backwards (as the actual painting would be done on the back of the cell) so you would start with the outline then paint on top of that. So click on the picture to see it bigger and have a look at the back of the cell (bottom half of the pic). It's quite interesting.... or is that just me?
Monday, 23 November 2009
Here is a bit of concept art. We have been doing some shorts for the Prince's Rainforest Project for You Tube which Paul has directed. He was coming up with an idea to illustrate deforestation and this is one of his preplanning idea scetches. What it shows is the usual pattern that loggers produce whilst ripping up the rainforest. They start clearing a road like path through the trees then start clearing other paths from those paths. You get a pattern that resembles this picture. Have a look on google earth and look at the Rainforest (for example in the Brazil area), you will find an awful lot of these patterns.
Friday, 20 November 2009
Here is a picture with some key positions for a character which was traditionally drawn. The posses with the missing mouths would have had lots of different mouth positions on it during the animation. Click on the pic to make it bigger, the quality of line is lovely. Something you dont see much of these days with digital art and digitally drawn lines.
Thursday, 19 November 2009
Here is an old poster, it was also the design of our old website. Lots of boxes on moving conveyor belts. It also pointed out our many mediums as this was shortly after we joined with Elm Road animation so Stop Motion was added to our many skills.
Wednesday, 18 November 2009
Here is Nine and his Dragon Tail. We first coloured it Purple (my favorite colour). But the producers wanted it Red so we changed it. But ultimately the Director wanted it green so that's how it ended up in the episode. I should also mention that this episode is Tail Of Tails which won a Pulcinella award at the Cartoons on the Bay festival!
Tuesday, 17 November 2009
Friday, 13 November 2009
Here is a page from a rough storyboard for an 11 min Pilot we made recently. The whole 11mins were roughed out in 5 days, then the clean up and tweaks took a week (with an over lap so a total of a week and a half). Not the way we prefer to do things but sometimes we have no choice! Helps when you have a good team. I like the drawings as they are but you have to have it all tidy for clients to refer to.
Tuesday, 10 November 2009
Here is another unused design (due to time) for Edward D Edwards. Here he is as Dracula. You can see Curtis Joblings design pencil sketches and the finished Flash model put over the top. On the right is the Gypsy Woman design that was used in the episode.
Monday, 9 November 2009
Here is a picture to show an unused design for a lizard wedding from Frankenstein's cat. This section was cut for time but we loved the lizard. All the designs were built in Flash using design drawings from Curtis Jobling. I will post more up soon.
Friday, 6 November 2009
Thursday, 5 November 2009
Here is a background from the Frankenstein's Cat series we worked on for Mackinnon and Saunders. We did the animatic, episodic props / character build, animation and backgrounds for 13 episodes which was a co-production with Kayenta in France. The BG's were traditionally drawn (on paper!!) then coloured in Photoshop.
Wednesday, 4 November 2009
Here is the chainsaw we had as a logo for a while (long story). We decided to change it when we started to work on various environment issues such as deforestation.
I should add that we have been suporting charaties like the Woodland Trust since the early naughties. We have also been recycling for over 12 years.